The Albert Hall Museum in Jaipur, is the oldest museum of the state and functions as the state museum of Rajasthan in north India. The building is situated in Ram Niwas garden outside the city wall opposite New Gate and is a fine example of Indo-Saracenic architecture. It is also called the Government Central Museum.
The building was designed by Samuel Swinton Jacob, assisted by Mir Tujumool Hoosein, and was opened as public museum in 1887.
Maharaja Maharaja Ram Singh initially wanted this building to be a town hall, but his successor, Madho Singh II, decided it should be a museum for the art of Jaipur and included as part of the new Ram Nivas Garden.
It is named after King Edward VII (Albert Edward), during whose visit to the city as the Prince of Wales, its foundation stone was laid on 6 February 1876.
The museum has a rich collection of artifacts including paintings, jewelry, carpets, ivory, stone, metal sculptures, and works in crystal. The collection includes coins from the Gupta, Kushan, Delhi Sultanate, Mughal and British periods.
An Egyptian mummy is the main attraction of this museum.